Okay, first real post!
So this article has been bouncing wildly around Facebook for the last week, (and as always, I seem to be the last one to have seen it).
http://www.xojane.com/sex/duke-university-freshman-porn-star
It's an interesting read, especially in conjunction with the various comments I saw about it on Facebook:
"That was really powerful and extremely well written. People need to understand that just because something wouldn't be the right choice for them, doesn't mean it wouldn't be the right choice for someone else."
"Meh. Her idea of "threatening the patriarchy" through "personal choice" just so happens to dovetail perfectly with conforming to the expectations of patriarchy. Yawn."
"Even if this is a case of someone confusing “liberation from” with “enjoying the applause of” the patriarchy, that doesn’t put the people who are harassing her in the right. "
In the article, the author links to her tell-all interview with the Duke Chronicle, (http://www.dukechronicle.com/articles/2014/02/14/portrait-porn-star). I haven't had time to read the whole thing yet, but I skimmed it quickly and it seems to hold plenty more to talk about.
Stupidly, I used up too much of my time this morning writing the Introduction post and re-finding these articles, so I don't have time to actually put in my two cents, but I look forward to talking about this one with you guys, (ie. outside the relative crazy-town that is the larger Facebook citizenry).
There is a follow up article by her in which she displays her face and publishes her porn career name, "Belle Knox". I'd like the article here, but I'd rather not search for that at work.
ReplyDelete