I present an article on Jennifer Lawrence and the archetype of the "Cool Girl." As I hope many articles posted to this blog will do, this article opened my mind to a new way of thinking about societal control. It's a long article, so for those time strapped folks out there, I recommend skipping/skimming the second half of the article. The second half tells a history of the "Cool Girl" archetype in Hollywood which didn't add anything new or thought provoking to the first half, in my opinion. Plus, really, we just want to read about J.Law.
The biggest questions this raised for me:
If you are who you are because subconsciously you've modeled yourself to be that which gets positive feedback - is well liked - then are you inauthentic?
Is J.Law a feminist icon, or reaffirmation that we must live in the patriarchal mold to succeed?
http://www.buzzfeed.com/annehelenpetersen/jennifer-lawrence-and-the-history-of-cool-girls
I actually liked the history lesson.
ReplyDeleteAlso, is the cool girl archetype reliant on the basic bitch archetype at all?
http://www.vice.com/read/in-defense-of-the-basic-bitch